We provide the best dermatologic care, employing the latest scientific and pharmacologic technologies.
The San Luis Dermatology and Laser Clinic has been serving the San Luis Obispo area in the person of Dr. Jeffrey Herten since October 1977. From one doctor, one nurse, and one front office person practicing in an 800-square-foot office, the clinic has grown into four physicians with a physician assistant and twenty support staff now practicing in three locations in San Luis Obispo County.
The clinic offers the latest in diagnostic and therapeutic clinical dermatology, expert cancer diagnosis and surgery including Mohs Micrographic Surgery, dermatoscopic evaluation, and digital photography on atypical moles leading to the early diagnosis and treatment of melanoma, and a stable of the finest lasers in use in laser surgery today. All these technologically advanced services are provided by caring healthcare professionals assisted by friendly and efficient nurses, medical assistants, and support staff. In addition, Dr. Herten’s faculty teaching appointment at U.C. Irvine provides an unlimited network of academic physicians to whom difficult and complex dermatologic problems can be referred for consultation.
R. Jeffrey Herten, M.D., FAAD
Diplomate of the American Boards of Dermatology and Dermatopathology. Dr. Jeffrey Herten has 35 years of experience in the practice of Dermatology, Dermatologic Surgery, Mohs Micrographic Surgery, and Dermatopathology.
- The University of Southern California. B.A., Anthropology. June 1968. Cum Laude.
- Medical School: University of California, Irvine, M.D., June 1972. Regent Scholar.
- Internship: Los Angeles County-U.S.C. Medical Center, Los Angeles, California. 1972-73.
- Residency: Combined Dermatology Program, University of California, Irvine. 1973-76.
- Fellowship: Fellowship in Dermatopathology, Combined Dermatology Program, University of California, Irvine. 1976-77
- Diplomate of the American Board of Dermatology – 1977
- Diplomate of the American Board of Dermatopathology – 1978
- Long-distance running. Running for fitness since 1970, logging over 40,000 miles in training.
- A veteran of forty-three marathons, fourteen fifty-mile runs, and three 100-mile, one-day runs.
- Endurance horseback riding. Riding since 1986 with 5,000 miles in competition, including a 14th place finish in the famous Tevis Cup 100-mile horse race.
- Ride and Tie Competition. Active since 1986. Competed in twenty-one Ride and Ties, including nine World Championship Events. Winner of the Man-Woman World Championship in 1992.
- California State Parks Volunteer, Coast Mounted Assistance, Montana de Oro State Park. 1998-Present.
- Trail maintenance. Committee Chairman and work party organizer. 1996-98.
- President 1998-99, 1999-2000, 2000-2001
- Medical Director, Liberty Tattoo Removal Clinic, San Luis Obispo County. September 2000-2005. This is a volunteer clinic to remove anti-social tattoos from parolees, former gang members, and others in order that they can re-enter society, be employed, etc.
Michael P. Heffernan, M.D., FAAD
Dr. Heffernan grew up in a small town coastal New Hampshire. He was the first person in his family to attend college. He received his undergraduate degree from the University of Notre Dame, his medical degree from the University of Michigan, and trained in Dermatology at Stanford where he was chosen to be chief resident.
Dr. Heffernan then served our country in the Air Force. After returning from service, he taught at Washington University and Wright State University where he also served as Chairman of the Department of Dermatology and Residency Program Director. Dr. Heffernan’s research has led to the development of dozens of medications. He recently served as a Distinguished Medical Fellow and Senior Medical Director at Eli Lilly & Co.
Dr. Heffernan is an internationally recognized dermatologist for problems ranging from the common to the complex. He specializes in the management of skin cancer and pre-skin cancers. He also specializes in the management of all complicated dermatologic disorders including psoriasis, lichen planus, mycosis fungoides, vasculitis, and pemphigus.
Dr. Heffernan is blessed with a great wife and 4 rambunctious daughters who are looking forward to establishing deep roots in San Luis Obispo.
Charles B. Fishman, M.D.
Dr. Fishman graduated from Indiana University School of Medicine in 1968. He interned and took one extra year of Internal Medicine residency at Wadsworth-VA-UCLA Hospital in 1968-70.
After two years as a doctor in the U.S. Army, he completed his residency training in Dermatology at the University Of Colorado School Of Medicine in Denver in 1975.
He was board certified by the American Board of Dermatology in 1975 and by the American Board of Pathology in 1977 for special competence in Dermatopathology.
He started practice in San Luis Obispo at the French Clinic in 1975 and has been in his own private practice since 1980.
He founded the California Central Coast Dermatological Society in 1976 and remains its president. The society meets monthly to present patients and at a separate meeting to discuss the latest in dermatological literature. He is a member of numerous dermatological educational societies including the American Academy of Dermatology, American Society of Dermatologic Surgery, Tri-County Dermatologic Society, and California Medical Association.
He cares for all diseases of the skin, hair, and nails, and his main interests and expertise are in the diagnosis and treatment of skin cancer, and rashes such as psoriasis and eczema, and in the evaluation of cosmetic concerns.
He has certificates in the use of lasers, BOTOX®, and fillers such as Restylane® and RADIESSE®. He is also proficient in the use of chemical peels and has done sclerotherapy for spider veins of the legs for more than 25 years.
Joseph Diehl, M.D., FACMS, FAAD
Dr. Diehl is double board-certified in Micrographic Dermatologic Surgery (Mohs surgery) and Dermatology by the American Board of Dermatology (ABD). He is a Fellow of the American College of Mohs Surgery (FACMS) and the American Academy of Dermatology (FAAD).
Cheryl Ketelsen, Diplomate Fellow, SDPA
Cheryl Ketelsen received her undergraduate degree in Kinesiology from San Diego State University and graduated cum laude. She obtained her Masters’s degree in physician assistant studies from Samuel Merritt University in Oakland CA. in 2015. Prior to specializing in dermatology, she spent her first year working in both primary care and urgent care here in San Luis Obispo. She has currently been practicing general dermatology since 2017.
When she is not in the clinic she enjoys both international and domestic travel, learning about different cultures, hiking, snowboarding, and water sports, and spending time with her friends and family.