Welcome to San Luis Dermatology & Laser Clinic
The San Luis Dermatology and Laser Clinic has been serving the San Luis Obispo area in the person of Dr. Jeffrey Herten since October, 1977. From a one doctor, one nurse, one front office person practice in an 800 square foot office, the clinic has grown into a four physician, and twenty support staff practice in a state-of-the-art 3900 square foot facility, and newly added second location.
Meet Dr. Herten
R. Jeffrey Herten, M.D.
University of Southern California. B.A., Anthropology. June 1968. Cum Laude.
Medical School: University of California, Irvine, M.D., June 1972. Regent Scholar.
Internship: Los Angeles County-U.S.C. Medical Center, Los Angeles, California. 1972-73.
Residency: Combined Dermatology Program, University of California, Irvine. 1973-76.
Fellowship: Fellowship in Dermatopathology, Combined Dermatology Program, University of California, Irvine. 1976-77
Diplomate of the American Board of Dermatology – 1977
Diplomate of the American Board of Dermatopathology - 1978
MEMBERSHIPS, HONORS, AND AWARDS:
Member of Blue Key Honor Society, University of Southern California. 1967-68
Member of Skull and Dagger, Senior Men’s Honor Service Organization. University of Southern California. 1967-68
Member of Trojan Knights, Junior-Senior Men’s Service Organization. University of Southern California. 1966-68
Academic Scholarship, University of Southern California. 1964-68
Regents’ Scholarship, University of California, Irvine, California College of Medicine. 1970-72
Chief Resident, Combined Dermatology Program, University of California, Irvine. 1975-76
Fellow of the American Academy of Dermatology. 1977- Present
Fellow of the American Academy of Dermatopathology. 1979-Present
Fellow of the American Society of Dermatologic Surgery. 1981-Present
Member of the Tri-County Dermatologic Society. 1983-Present
Secretary-Treasurer, Tri-County Dermatologic Society. 1990-92
President, Tri-County Dermatologic Society. 1992-93
Dermatopathology Teacher of the Year, University of California, Irvine. 1999-2000
Dermatology Teacher of the Year, University of California, Irvine. 2003-2004
Dermatology Teacher of the Year, University of California, Irvine, 2007-2008
MEDICAL LICENSURE: California A25307. 1973
Clinical Associate in Medicine, Dermatology, University of California, Irvine. 1975-76
Visiting Lecturer in Venereal Disease, California State University, Long Beach. 1975-76
Clinical Instructor in Medicine, Dermatology, University of California, Irvine. 1976-78
Assistant Clinical Professor of Dermatology. University of California, Irvine. 1978-1986
Associate Clinical Professor of Dermatology and Dermatopathology, University of California, Irvine. 1986-Present
Visiting Lecturer on the Biology of Skin Cancer, California Polytechnic State University, San Luis Obispo. 1980-1999
Clinical Staff, Beckman Laser Lab and Medical Clinic, University of California, irvine. 1996-2001
1. Herten, R. Jeffrey, Acanthosis Nigricans, Continuing Medical Education. March 1977
2. Herten, R. Jeffrey, Polymorphous Malignant Lymphoma with Lymphocytic Infiltrative Pneumonia, Archives of Dermatology. December 1976
3. Barr, R.J., Herten, R.J., Rapid Hemotoxylin-Eosin Method for Tzanck Preparations from Viral Vesicles, Journal of the American Medical Association. March 1977
4. Barr, R.J., Herten, R.J., Multiple Premalignant Fibroepitheliomas of Pinkus: Case Report and Review of the Literature, Cutis. March 1978
5. Barr, R.J., Herten, R.J., and Graham, J.H., Synovial Sarcoma Metastatic to Skin: A Histochemical and Ultrastructural Study, Archives of Dermatology. December 1976
6. Stone, O.J., Barr, R.J., and Herten, R.J., The Nail Biopsy. Cutis, September 1977
7. Herten, R.J., Non-scarring Hair Loss Disorders, Post-Graduate Medicine, October 1982
8. Herten, R.J., Seborrheic Keratoses (including the Sign of Leser-Trelat), Stucco Keratoses, Hyperkeratoiss Lenticularis Perstans (Flegel), and Benign Lichenoid Keratoses, Chapter in Co-operative Textbook on Geriatic Dermatology: Clinical Diagnosis and Practical Therapy, edited by Victor Newcomer, M.D. and Edward M. Young, Jr., M.D. Published by Igaku-Shoin Medical Publishers Inc., New York. 1989
9. Herten, R.J. Chemical and Mineral Deposition in the Skin, Chapter in Co-operative Textbook of Dermatopathology, Edited by Evan Farmer, M.D., Appleton-Century-Crofts Publishers, New York. 1989
1. The Western States 100: A Participant’s View. Journal of the American Medical Athletic Association. January 1985
2. Hey, Mister, Wanna Buy a Horse? Journal of the Ride and Tie Association. October 1987
3. Send the Best. Endurance News. February 1992
4. The Yanks are Coming. Endurance News. March 1992
5. A Way of Life. Endurance News. April 1992
6. From the Front. Endurance News. May 1992
7. Check These Out. Endurance News. June 1992
8. Fools and Ride and Tiers. Journal of the Ride and Tie Association. July 1992
9. Riding for America. Endurance News. July 1992
10. Riding for America II. Endurance News. August 1992
11. In Pursuit of Lauren: The 1992 Championship Ride & Tie. Trailblazer. January 1993
12. A Sight for Sore Thighs: The 1993 Championship Ride & Tie. Trailblazer. January 1994
13. High Stakes Ride & Tie. Trailblazer. April 1994
14. Carpe Vitam: The Amazing John Melville. Trailblazer. May 1994
15. A Buckle at Last: The 1993 Tevis Cup Ride. Trailblazer. January 1994
16. A Horse Person’s Guide to Sun Protection. Ride Magazine. April 1995
17. To Finish is to Survive: The 1995 Ride & Tie Championship. Trailblazer. March 1996
RESEARCH ADVISOR FOR SENIOR PROJECTS AT CALIFORNIA POLYTECHNIC STATE UNIVERSITY, SAN LUIS OBISPO
Autologous Skin Grafting for Vitiligo. Research advisor for Senior Project with James Thurlow. 1996
Lyme Disease in San Luis Obispo County. Research advisor for Senior Project with Jim Nunle. 1996
Ultraviolet in the 90s. Pilot project for public education including broadcast and publication of minimum daily cancer dose of ultraviolet, user guide to sunscreens, ozone update, and tanning salon hazard awareness. Research advisor for Senior Project with Tom Waddington. 1996
Long distance running. Running for fitness since 1970, logging over 40,000 miles in training. Veteran of forty-three marathons, fourteen fifty mile runs, and three 100 mile, one-day runs.
Endurance horseback riding. Riding since 1986 with 5,000 miles in competition, including a 14th place finish in the famous Tevis Cup 100 mile horse race.
Ride and Tie Competition. Active since 1986. Competed in twenty-one Ride and Ties, including nine World Championship Events. Winner of Man-Woman World Championship in 1992.
California State Parks Volunteer, Coast Mounted Assistance, Montana de Oro State Park. 1998-Present. Trail maintenance. Committee Chairman and work party organizer. 1996-98. President 1998-99, 1999-2000, 2000-2001
Medical Director, Liberty Tattoo Removal Clinic, San Luis Obispo County. September 2000-2005. This is a volunteer clinic to remove anti-social tattoos from parolees, former gang members, and others in order that they can re-enter society, be employed, etc.
Board of Governers, Western States Trail Ride, 2003-present
Chairman, Western States Trail Endowment Foundation. 2009